At play in the studio

I worked on this post card a few days, though, admittedly it is very simple.  I really like the texture I achieved.  I had pressed the postcard onto another sheet that had glass bead medium so there was a light skim of that on the surface.  I squeezed some white and black gesso onto the surface and spread it at angles with my palette knife.  I let that layer dry.  I came back to it and added a bt of yellow acrylic.  I didn’t like the effect so I hit it with a bunch of water and removed most of it.  I let it sit for another day or so.  Then I decided to apply some tissue paper to the surface.  I grabbed the yellow and put down a strip, followed by the green.  Then I finished with the small piece of yellow that actually looks like it is showing through but is on top.  The tissue paper is so thin that it was easy to get it to adhere to the glass beads easily.  I just used matte medium and a brush to work it into the surface.  It’s a bit dark but I’m happy.  I guess it’s another way to avoid my canvas – Emerging Cosmos – since I don’t know what to do next.  Tomorrow I will just dive in again!

Advertisements

Color Blocks

This miniature collage started in one place and ended in another.  Another example of my art telling where it needs to go!  I began by applying a thick layer of gesso to a large postcard.  Once it was dry I drew designs on it with a water-soluble crayon and softened it with water.  Today began using watercolor to add detail to the surface.  But unfortunately I ended up with what looked like a face, and an unhappy one at that.  So, I had some tissue paper close at hand and began applying it in small pieces.  As I went along the pieces grew larger and the result much more compelling.  I love the color blocks in this and the way you can see through the layers.  It was a good start to my day and though I would love to move onto my large canvas  right now the grocery store beckons.  Ugh!

Wild Kingdom

As expected, I have not had a lot of time for art this week.  Or perhaps I should restate that.  I have not had a lot of time to pursue “my” art this week.  For the past couple of days I have been helping my daughter with a project for school.  She is doing the work and I am the assistant.  She is creating a hot air balloon out of tissue paper for her science class.  Not only must it conform to precise standards of construction, it will be judged for appearance as well.  Somehow that seems wrong to me.  It’s supposed to be about the science right – how it works not how “pretty” it is.  Oh well, she has had a good time with her concept.  She decided to use different colored panels with animals that match each one.  So far eveything has worked perfectly.  The last step for us today is to glue the panels together.  They are only supposed to overlap by 3 mm and they are quite large.  Wish us luck!