As I sat at my desk today I spotted a picture of a collage of mine I had taken. I liked the background so I cut a section to fit the postcard. Included in the section was the face of a young boy. I took a piece of tracing paper on which I had made a rubbing of some of my daughters old velvet art. I placed that over the first layer so that it looks as though you are looking through a screen. While the effect would be better if the card were horizontal, I’m sticking with my vertical format.
This postcard went in a different direction than I had planned. I placed white paper over the postcard and spotted some tulle on my desk. I glued that down and then added layers of sheer rice paper over it. I then added the webbed wax paper and the few red accents. It still wasn’t complete so after giving it some time to dry I did some printing on the light areas and added some black paint. The black scrap with the letters was the last piece I added just before taking the picture. It has wonderful texture, though I’m not sure that comes through on the photo.
On this card I started with a piece from an old watercolor I did. I took some tracing paper and drew circles and lines on it and glued it over the watercolor. I then painted portions of the tracing paper. I took a picture at that point. I then applied a coat of gloss medium to make it shiny. I like the effect of the stong graphic design over the softer watercolor. I think it would have been stronger, perhaps, if I’d chosen different colors for the top painting. I’ve included both the glossy and non-glossy photo’s so you can see both effects.
I experimented today with a concept I am thinking of using for a larger piece. I took a black and white photo of a face, glued it down and sanded it. I applied white gesso over the top and rubbed some of it off so the image was still visible but shadowy. I wrapped the postcard with darning thread across the image. I finished by lightly painting in some of the spaces with black paint. Though not developed fully, I like the concept and am looking forward to working this technique on a larger scale.
Thanks to everyone who stopped by yesterday to “Meet the Artists”. It was a pleasure to share my thoughts and insights on my work with you. Here is the link to the column in Globe West.
Hmmmmmm. This one is interesting. I took brown paper towels (which I secretly love as a material) and covered my postcard. Then I wrapped thread around it and found a picture of a leaf in the right colors to add to the mix. Lastly I added the puzzle piece (which didn’t photograph well) and the two yellowish pieces. Okay, so I’m trying to remember what the yellowish pieces are. I got them in a materials swap. I “think” they are dried pieces of potato skins. I can’t remember! That’s my best guess. What do you think!
This one was kind of fun. I used the G section of the Globe and tape to put this together. I simply found sections of pictures that I thought were interesting and placed the tape down. When I pulled it back up I took with it part of the picture/text and color. I lay them down on the postcard to create an interesting collage of color and line. It’s a gorgeous day in the Boston Metropolitan area. Enjoy it before the snow flies again!